Thursday, February 12, 2009

Whoppers and Beer...

Well I am about to start packing for our weekend trip to Milan, Italy. I have a friend from Purdue studying there this semester so hopefully we can meet and she can show us around a little bit. Evidently the painting of the "Last Supper" is there as well as some incredible cathedrals and other museums. I know we are planning a bike tour around the city where we will stop at a winery for a break.

Classes are going really well. I really enjoy all of them especially my history of Spain class. It is really hard to believe they have only had a democracy for only around 30 years. A lot has changed from Franco, and for the better, but you can still see signs of a weaker economy here. Every year in January and June, every store offers "Rebajas" or "Sales." It is the only time clothes and other things are on sale for the entire year. Due to the weak economy, stores are keeping them around until almost the end of March so people will continue to buy. I don't mind too much because I already found a sweet jacket for only 26 American dollars.

I am defiantly starting to see the differences of the cultures. My Senora was talking about how stupid it is the US doesn't have the drinking age at 18 (I tend to agree, but I see both sides of the spectrum). They serve wine (which is always cheaper than any soda) and beer almost everywhere... even Burger King. So for lunch today I had my Whopper meal with a Beer substituted for my Coke... and then went to International Marketing class.

We all still enjoy going out, but you can really tell it is taking a toll on all of us. I think we are starting to get out of the "touristy" stage and its starting to hit us this is home for a while.

The picture below is our group of friends here at Plaza Mayor the other night.






No comments:

Post a Comment